Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Robot render using Image Based Lighting

Work continues on my robot model, Gizmo. I've added a bit more detail and created UV maps. The next step will involve Lightwave's Surface Bake Camera to render out the maps I'll need inside Quixel. I'm new to Quixel but my initial tests show some promise. The goal is surface textures that are a bit more complex and interesting. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, I thought I'd set up a test render in an HDR environment just to see how things were progressing. This sIBL set (Smart Image Based Lighting) named "Chiricahua NarrowPath" comes courtesy of HDRLabs. Check out the site if you have the chance. There's lots of great information and tools. I have nothing but praise for Christian Bloch's book "The HDRI Handbook 2.0" and his Smart_IBL plugin for Lightwave 3D. Christian's writing style is entertaining as well as informative, not an easy feat when covering technical subjects.

Gizmo takes a pass

No comments:

Post a Comment